Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Birthday Blog


It’s my birthday and I’m feeling a bit nostalgic and a tad homesick, so I figured I’d go reach out into cyberspace with a little update about life lately.

Going in to this project, I figured it would take a month before I really got adjusted and started being useful at work. Maybe I can read the future, or maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, but pretty much a month to the day after I started at IFP, things got hectic. Instead of just working on grant applications, I’ve somehow taken on a great deal of the World Fisheries Day planning. Though I have about 0.2% authority and virtually no means to get important things done, I’ve become somewhat of a taskmaster for the rest of the planning committee in hopes that this day will actually happen successfully. Most the deadlines I impose are completely ignored, but I am getting more persistent in my pestering. Additionally, I am writing, editing, marketing, and designing a magazine to go along with the celebrations of WFD.

The inefficient, short-sighted, and occasionally irrational way that planning happens has become quite hilarious to me. My boss is under some delusional assumption that this unorganized event at a remote location will draw in thousands of people, and therefore has unreasonable expectations. He wanted to charge $500 for exhibition stalls and is insisting that we charge upwards of $400 for advertisements in the magazine. Today he asked me to draft a letter to the Prime Minister of Kenya inviting him to be the Chief Guest with less than one month’s notice. Sometimes all you can do is chuckle to yourself and go along with it because it is good to actually be doing something. At least by the end of the internship I’ll be able to add graphic design, journalism, marketing, and event planning to my resume!

On other fronts, home life is going great. The kids are great and quite sibling-like now. Apparently the other night when I was late in coming home, Ray (my 5 year old brother) was quite concerned and kept asking why I hadn’t come back yet. Becky (my 2.5 year old sister) loves to hit me and bite me just like a real sister, but within the same minute, she’ll be cuddling with me and falling asleep in my lap. Storm Over Paradise now plays for a full hour on weeknights, and it is getting so dramatic. You’ll be glad to know Aymar is out of jail, but her love for Nicolas is still being thwarted by the evil plotting of the fake Corina Rosenberg. And I just figured out that I can download free yoga podcasts on iTunes so I can work out all the kinks from the daily jostling of the 30min matatu ride to and from town.

The biggest drawback to living in Kenya is that I’m having a pretty difficult time meeting friends. Though I wouldn’t have to look very far to find a Kenyan man more than willing to be my boyfriend or a woman whose children I could sponsor, finding genuine friends is not an easy task. Other than Samantha, I don’t really hang out with anyone outside of my family. Incidentally, I finish about one whole season per week of the TV show Alias (a whole $2 on the side of the street). It is very difficult to be seen so differently. The color of my skin (and, synonymously, my economic status) enters into every interaction I have. I am getting quite sick of strangers asking for money or phone number and people assuming I am rich. I especially hate that my interactions with strangers has become extremely guarded and that I assume everyone who introduces themselves to me has a hidden (or not so hidden) agenda. I don’t want to be a racist, classist expat that only socializes with other white people, but the truth is, other Westerners are so much easier to relate to.

Now that I’m another year older and my time here is passing very quickly, the dreaded question of what my life will hold next keeps creeping into my thoughts. I’m trying to be content to enjoy the magnificent sunsets, take in as much as I can at IFP, and know that another opportunity will come my way in due time (hopefully one that pays).

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, wonderful Katie. I've loved keeping up with your adventures, and continue to be so impressed with your expressions of life. I'm lucky to know you.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey been thinking about you today!
    happy birthday...i hope it is wonderful...
    do enjoy yourself while you are over there for you will be home sooner than you think!
    I wish that i could be there with you!
    miss you and was thinking about how about a year ago we were in washington...what fun
    love you eventhough
    you're so old....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie girl--

    it's hard NOT to worry about the next thing but keep enjoying those sunsets! somehow the next thing does take care of itself especially for a wonderful, brilliant, self directed, adventurous person like yourself.

    Love, anonymous mom
    (the mom part was probably already obvious, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey birthday girl. I can't tell you how scared I was when I graduated from college -- also into a recession. Turns out it's not that hard if you aren't insisting on having a house and a Lexus before age 25. I know, easy for me to say. Your Granddad had a saying, "There's always room at the top." What he meant was essentially what your mom is saying: good talent is always needed for positions requiring intelligence and education. How great that you are getting a wild (I meant to write wide, but wild works too) variety of experience! And great to have such direct insight into the factors that make it hard for the world community to get on the same page. Next time you meet a Kenyan, say "Hi, I'm Katie. I'm from America, but I don't have any money; I'm working here for free. I hope we can be friends anyway."
    What's really great is that you'll have this erudite and thoughtful blog to look back on for the rest of your life, and compare how it worked out compared to your hopes and fears!
    Many happy returns of the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Katie,

    For some reason "My Katie" keeps coming out of my mouth when I'm talking about you. I like it better than "My Cousin".

    So My Katie - I wish you a wonderful birthday. Filled with singing birds, and rays of sun(we're fresh out of those up here in Oly), smiling faces, and exciting matadu rides. Today should be one of those days that you tingle inside and tears come to your eyes without any reason that someone could name.
    You are a powerful person - graduating with a degree in International Political Economy, and not just scraping by. Interested and involved in what you deem important, you have the quality that will keep your heart open to do good things.
    You are in a beautiful place - not just Kenya but the planet Earth - and you should know that you have the love of the people around you. Not forgetting that the term "around" is applicable in a cross-continental sense too.
    I love you Katie, and I'll be thinking of you when those inexplicable tears come to my eyes.
    Enjoy your birthday - and enjoy the days that aren't your birthday too.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete